Students are admitted to CIBA through a lottery that is regulated, administered, and supervised by the Connecticut State Department of Education’s Regional School Choice Office in compliance with the Sheff vs. O’Neill decree and Settlement Agreement. Students may come from East Hartford, a Sheff partner district or through the parent open-choice program.
Who can apply to CIBA?
- Any Connecticut student in grade 8 or (grade 9 depending upon 10th grade seat availability) can apply.
- Connecticut students are ONLY accepted through the Connecticut Department of Education’s Regional School Choice Office (RSCO) annual lottery.
- CIBA accepts a limited number of International Exchange students who attend for ONE YEAR. Please click on "Information for International Students" in the blue left-hand margin.
How do I apply for a seat at CIBA?
- Prospective students and their parents should attend one of the CIBA Open Houses (listed below) to ensure that CIBA is the right match.
- Prospective students and parent should go to the RSCO website at www.choiceeducation.org to apply.
- The application period for admission in September 2016 begins October 15, 2015 and closes February 29, 2016.
- Families are generally notified in April or Early May if the prospective student has been offered a seat and will have a limited time to accept or decline the seat.
- Students currently enrolled in East Hartford Middle School who are offered a seat are automatically registered. Students from other towns MUST register at East Hartford Public School’s Central Registration Office, 734 Tolland Street as soon as possible after they have accepted the seat through RSCO.
Are there any preferences?
- CIBA offers a preference to siblings of any current CIBA student.
- CIBA has agreements with area towns and sets aside a certain number of seats for students in Hartford, Manchester, Ellington, Vernon, RHAM, Tolland, Coventry. In addition, at least fifteen seats in each class are reserved for students from East Hartford.
- For 2015-16 CIBA has a Pathway School agreement with Breakthrough Magnet School.
What about transportation?
- East Hartford students are transported for free on East Hartford buses.
- Students in the RSCO Transportation zone are transported for free through RSCO’s subcontractor, CREC Transportation.
- Students outside of the RSCO transportation zone must provide their own transportation to CIBA OR to a bus stop in the RSCO Transportation zone.
Connecticut IB Academy Open House Dates for 2016-2017
Students, parents and families interested in applying to attend the Connecticut IB Academy are strongly encouraged to visit the school by attending one of the 2016-17 open house information sessions. Sessions begin in the Rotunda at 5:30, followed by an information presentation in the Lecture Hall and a tour of the school and are generally completed by 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday October 19, 2016
Thursday November 10, 2016
Tuesday December 6, 2016
Wednesday January 18, 2017
Thursday, February 23, 2017
Students whose families have attended an open house may schedule a day to “shadow” another CIBA student. To make a shadowing appointment, please contact Mrs. Debra Dolan at 860-622-5590